Job ID 12621
Salary As per the organization salary scale
No. of Opportunity 1
Experience 2 Years
Qualification Bachelor Degree
Opportunity type Job
Duration 31-Dec-2023 (Extendable)
Vacancy No. VA-2023-0011
Organization Norwegian Refugee Council
Radio Operator role will assist to operate and monitor UHF, HF radio systems, vehicle and personnel tracking systems, CCTV, e-mail, vehicle booking systems, satellite telephones, mobile telephone and internal phone systems, in English and local languages.
The Radio Operator will send message through bulk SMS system to all staff when there is an incident, also he/she will conduct headcount if necessary. Radio Room will be a connection with staff, and staff could get in touch if necessary.
- Monitor and communicate with NRC vehicles and staff in the field, other NRC offices and appropriate partners.
- Immediately report any potential threats to NRC staff, assets, and facilities.
- Immediately report emergencies, accidents, and loss of contact with NRC staff/vehicles
- Log all transmitted and received messages according to procedures.
- Log all vehicles’ movements according to procedures.
- Conduct periodic equipment inspections and tests to ensure that operations standards are met, and report all needs for repairs/maintenance.
- Coordinate radio related actions of locating and contacting staff that are missing or in distress.
- Ensure that messages are well copied/passed to all people concerned and records the messages on the radio logbook.
- Monitor and register any movement, of people, vehicles, and cargo, (departure, arrival, number of passengers, route taken, standard contact points or at approximately every 20 minutes) and inform the line manager of any delays.
- Supervise and monitor the VHF radio and SAT phone allocation book (handsets) and register the loan of handsets to all staff, follow it up on a regular basis.
- Radio Operator should be aware of every single HSS event or issue that happens during filed movement and duty related to field and brief staff before going on field mission.
- Radio Operator should check the Radio Room’s emails at least every ten minutes and note and monitor All TAR movements.
- Radio Operator is responsible for conducting an accurate and complete handover briefing, including all information that occurred during her/his duty or will impact a replacing (taking over) entity’s duty. The handover note should be passed on to the person replacing you and your immediate supervisor. Refer to Operator SOP for details.
- Radio Operator is responsible for drafting and distributing SMS announcements to all staff at the request of a member of the security department and announce the same information to all the drivers via VHF/UHF, and HF/Cell phone if VHF/UHF is out of range. SMSs should follow this format: “Security Alert: 0000hrs; Date; Incident; Advisory.”
- Give regular feedback to the line manager and report directly any issue or incident.
- Fulfilling any other related tasks that may be assigned by supervisors, NRC Security Department.
- Responsible to communicate any problem they face to their immediate supervisor.
Generic professional competencies
- A minimum of 2 years of non-profit or NGO work experience within international humanitarian assistance programs.
- High school education – 12th grade Completion, Bachelor preferred.
- Good knowledge in communications technology, including, satellite communications, cell phone, etc.
- Good knowledge of city, province of the assigned location, and much preferably Southern region, ability to read and interpret maps and operate Google maps or similar.
- Able to structure his or her thoughts and make an accurate and complete summary of a situation, under time pressure, at any time of day or night.
- Must display intelligent ability to arrange vehicle moves to make best use of available assets and time.
- High attention to detail and ability to neatly complete assigned paper work.
- Honest and trustworthy.
- Proven communication, interpersonal, representation, negotiation and skills.
- Computer skills – database knowledge essential, wireless networking.
- Trouble shooting’ skill with electronic, radio, GPS and computer systems.
- Well presented, confident, and sensible.
- No other employment is allowed, operator may be required to work at any time of day or night and on any day of the week, at short notice assigned by line manager.
- Strong written and verbal English essential.
- Fluent of the local languages.
- Strategic thinking
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environments
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale.
- Smart Phone with Top up Credit card with internet package on monthly basis.
- NRC will cover staff plus four (4) depended for medical insurance.
- One time Eid Bonus per year
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labor Law.
How to Apply:
Interested qualified candidates can apply by clicking on below link:
Note: All applicants are supposed to create and properly fill online CV profile in the Oracle site, example (personal, education, experience background etc..) and only attaching CV will not be enough