Job ID 18020
Salary Cordaid Salary Scale
No. of Opportunity 1
Experience 4 Years
Opportunity type Job
Duration One Year with possibility of extension
Vacancy No. CRD02/23
Organization Cordaid, Afghanistan
The Project Manager forwill be responsible for the overall implementation of the project at all levels, from the coordination of consortium work to the community, National, and International Levels. S/he will develop strong partnerships with consortium partners, the security and justice network and successfully complete project objectives in Afghanistan, working with multiple stakeholders ranging from donors and clients to partnes and beneficiaries.
Under the overall direction of the deputy/Country Director, and in accordance with Cordaid policies, procedures and practices, the Project Manager will lead his/her teams in developing and managing relevant and innovative approaches to work on priorities of Just Future project within Afghanistan. S/he will closely work with operations colleagues to ensure efficient and effective support to project development, implementation and closure while maintaining strong internal controls. S/he would also closely monitor and facilitate the evaluation of results and impacts in close coordination with Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (PMEAL) colleagues and facilitate shared programme learning.
- Support Country Level Just Future Afghanistan (JFA) strategies and plans to make a positive difference to the lives of people, paying special attention to gender equality and youth.
- In close collaboration with consortium partners, develop and implement an effective strategy and associated plans for building and implementing the project, including setting clear objectives, realistic timelines, cost recovery budgets and KPIs with SMART results to measure outputs and results.
- In close collaboration with the team, GO technical experts and other colleagues lead the implementation of the project with a focus on quality, impact and timely reporting.
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships through active networking, advocacy and effective communication of Cordaid relevant competencies and track record;
- Ensure effective communication of project results – outputs, outcomes and impacts in quantifiable and qualitative terms in the form of reports, assessments, and success stories;
- Provide strategic and technical guidance on key components of the project to consortium partners and beyond to foster good practices and ensure that minimum standards are met.
- Maintain effective coordination with consortium partners, other Programmes, CSOs and with Field team to enable support for project implementation at all levels.
- Maintain effective coordination with the PMEAL Cordaid and M&E teams of all partners to ensure timely and correct measurement of results and facilitate learning towards continuous improvements in the design and delivery of projects.
Build effective coordination within Just Future project:
- Build well-functioning project teams in Cordaid and support partners in their team-building work by offer mentoring support;
- Establish/strengthen effective proactive communication and coordination with Cordaid Ips and Consortium partners by promoting southern leadership and localisation agenda;
- Organize regular coordination meeting with partners including thematic technical working group meetings, Steering Committee meetings and ad-hoc technical meetings. Properly document meetings including decisions, follow-up actions and reporting;
- Utilize data and analysis to build and finetune a responsive project action plan that effectively enhances project objectives;
- Ensure timely information on progress and results is available by compiling, organizing, analyzing, monitoring, and preparing data for situational, context analysis reports, fact sheets, briefing notes, and other communications products, including other IEC materials;
- Undertake regular field visits to gather information on results related to Just Future project activities including organization of joint field visits with project partners;
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned project staff, sector experts and other key stakeholders.
- Maintain strong coordination and proactive information sharing with the Cordaid GO Just Future team including with the international Steering Committee;
Manager Just Future:
- Ensure quality project management compliance with scope, time and budgets, adhering to project management policies, procedures and practices according to agreed standards and requirements.
- Supervise and support local partners in developing monitoring and capacity-building tools that enable quality, and integrity in the delivery of projects.
- Ensure effective risk management of projects, consortium and implementing partners.
- Decide, plan and organize internal meetings, teleconferences etc. to ensure regular communication with colleagues, clients, partners and other counterparts.
- Report through agreed lines on progress through specific reports.
- Plan and ensure timely audit reports, narrative & financial reports and payments.
- Ensure the development of a results framework that includes the design and registration of KPI’s with (output, outcome, impact) results measured against targets that are entered into DevResult.
- File the risk log, upload it in Cordaid’s CPA, and monitor risks.
- Plan, recruit and develop skilled personnel/technical experts to ensure optimum performance and encourage the formation of diverse teams in terms of gender and other diversity indicators.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both women and men and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- Plan and conduct lessons learned sessions (and register results in Cordaid’s CPA and DevResults).
- Arranged administrative closure of the project in all systems.
Contribute to Knowledge Management and Innovation
- Contribute to the development and introduction of innovation to ensure Cordaid is continually incorporating best practice approaches in Country Office operations and Just Future global operations.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building and, contribute to relevant Communities of Experts and Communities of Practice accordingly.
- At the request of the Programmes/Country Director and in collaboration with the Operations Director, plan, implement and organize strategic capacity building of project staff, partners and other stakeholders.
Undertake other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor
The successful delivery of results by the Project Manager JF directly impacts the performance of programs implemented by Cordaid as well as its reputation as an effective partner in achieving positive results that lead to flourishing communities in fragile settings.
- Master’s degree with at least 4 years of experience in project management, business/public administration, or social sciences, or bachelor’s degree with at least 7 years of experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in social development, business development and/or programme management;
- Practical experience and knowledge of lobby and advocacy work in Afghanistan;
- Knowledge of working with women organisations, CSOs and community-based grassroots level institutions
- Experience in managing programmes and/or projects from NGOs or other international humanitarian, development and/or in insecure areas.
- Excellent skills in coordination, communication and financial management, and intercultural cooperation;
- A networker, diplomatic and results-oriented, with the ability to work under stressful and time-bound project conditions.
- Flexible and capable of working in a stressful context, with experience in Afghanistan counted as an asset.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English, Pashto and or Dari languages.
- Ability to lead and manage a diverse group of colleagues to achieve results in a responsible and collaborative manner through clear direction, supervision and modelling behaviour.
- Ability to clearly and convincingly communicate ideas and concepts in writing and orally.
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, and to introduce new approaches and strategic innovations.
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with NGOs, International Organisations, and other partners to promote partnerships and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies.
- Excellent interpersonal, coordination and negotiation skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, creativity and innovation, learning, accountability, planning and organization, results orientation, teamwork and technological solutions.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in Cordaid and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
- Solid knowledge in project management (from design to implementation to closure, incl. evaluation).
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioural/ attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills.
How to Apply:
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in one PDF file. Your email subject should be otherwise, it will not be considered as valid application.
- Please note that applications received after the closing date and without the Subject line will not be given consideration.
- Only shortlisted candidates whose application meets the above criteria will be contacted for test/interview.
- Note: Only application send to the below address will be considered. Applications send to any other address even within the organization cannot be considered.
- Applicants should copy and paste the Vacancy Announcement (VA) Number which Manager. Please do not add any additional words or space in the VA Number. Applications received without a VA Number will not be considered.